[a30] Re: roof bracing under mast

Steve Weingart shw at gate.net
Thu Apr 2 05:46:46 PST 1998

Help ONElist keep this service free, while generating interest in your
product or service. ONElist has a variety of advertising packages.
Visit http://www.onelist.com/advert.html for more information.

From: Steve Weingart <shw at gate.net>

>it it not normal. you need a new mast beam. contact reid beigel or mike
>lehman - they are expert in these matters.
>
>ron ahlers
>>
>>Hello.  Midwatch, A30 #281, has a dimple the size of the mast footprint in
>>the ceiling under the mast.  She has wooden roof bracing at the vee berth
>>bulkhead.  How much deflection is too much?  Was the ceiling originally
>>flat?  What is the remedy?  I understand the later boats had an aluminum
>>rafter.  Has anyone done this refit on an older A30?

It's not normal, and there are several articles about that in the new A30
maint manual that you can order from the blurb in the newsletter.

The normal fix is to: Loosen the rigging (and remove that mast if
necessary) check the deck coring and repair any rotten coring, then you
jack up the mast beam to the right point and sister it with AL or steel
plates that you through bolt to the wooden beam.

If you have an actual depression in the cabin ceiling, you probably have
deck core problems in that area, you will likely need to cut off the skin,
dig out the core, fill/re-glass.

Steve