[a30] maintenance manual for nonmembers?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Dec 1 08:25:22 PST 1998

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

I get, on occasion, requests to purchase the Maintenance Manual from
individuals who are not members of the Association.  I'm reluctant
to make it available.  One of my reasons for publishing it and for
pricing it at such a low price was to provide a benefit to membership
that was significant to members outside the upper Chesapeake Bay
area.

Some of these individuals are A30 owners.  I would prefer that they
join the Association to get the manual, and they usually do.  This
has resulted in quite a few new members this year.  We've
also provided some to the Great Lakes Association, and I have no
problem with that.  I think there's a great deal of benefit to
cooperation between the two A30 associations.  For the rest, I've
considered asking $58 for the manual, i.e., the price of joining
and buying the manual.  So far, the issue hasn't been pushed
that far.

Other individuals are those looking to purchase an A30.  I can
understand their interest in the manual.  I can also envision
that some of the articles might give the impression that the
boats require a lot of maintenance.  After all, the manual,
like the maintenance seminar, talks only of the problems.

What do you think about this issue?  Should we make the manual
available to non-members?  Should we charge extra, if we do?
I really want to hear your opinions.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/