[alberg30] More on cabin tables

Forhan, Thomas Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov
Mon Dec 7 07:37:23 PST 1998

From: "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan at mail.house.gov>

I pulled the existing table over the weekend.  Like the dogleg boats, it
sits on an aluminum pedestal let in to the starboard berth. I can't see
much of the bracket in the berth, since its fiberglassed in place. Maybe -I
hope- this is the same bracket used for the dogleg setup . Tubing is 2.5 OD
aluminum, but straight in my case.  I think the table is a stock, covered
in teak formica. However, it has been cut lengthwise and the pieces
reattached with a piano hinge. About one third of the table is attached to
a large pedestal bracket and is fixed, while the remaining two-thirds folds
down and is held up, when needed, by a card-table sort of leg,  that is a
little awkward.

We use the table a lot.  We are a family of three, and our nine year old
son likes board games, and we like to set a table for dinner. However  the
support leg and fold-down portion of the table make the narrow sole even
narrower. The dogleg setup looks great because you can swing the whole
thing out of the way, and it makes the starboard berth kind of like two
chairs divided by an end table.

I've seen an A30 with a separate pedestal mount for the table out in the
cockpit. This also appeals to us, currently we use a little fold up table
that stores in the hanging locker. Anyone have this or can provide details
on how this is done?  Fawcetts, BOATUS and West catalogs don't seem to have
any appropriate fittings for 2.5 OD.

Tom F.
Calliope #287