[alberg30] Re: Spinnaker pole

Mon Dec 21 13:00:08 PST 1998

From: "Jacques Guerette" <Jacques.Guerette.jguerett at nt.com>

I'm sending this note again 'cause I'm not sure the first one went
through....

My boat's bottom was in similar condition when I bought it.  I had the
bottom sandblasted.  While effective, it was rather destructive, leaving the
bottom pitted and cratered, taking paint off my cradle, chewing up some of
the plastic through hulls, etc.  It was worth it though, 'cause I've got a
smooth slippery bottom now.

A better way to go is to "sand blast" the hull using baking soda. This
approach doesn't pit the hull, is more environmentally friendly and easier
on things attached to or around your bottom.  I've never seen this procedure
but by all accounts I've read it is superior to sandblasting.  It works
cause the baking soda "explodes" on contact, taking paint with it.
Apparently, doesn't chip or crater the gelcoat.

I've got an article on the subject I could send you if you're interested....

Jacques