[alberg30] Rebedding deck fittings

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 14:19:30 PST 1998

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Bill Hamm, GSTD GRIFF in AOL sail chat, passed on a really good rebedding
technique.

Remove fitting from deck.

overdrill the bolt holes to the next largest size hole

put tape under the deck, under the holes.

fill the hole with epoxy to the level of the deck. No bubbles!

allow epoxy to set hard

redrill your holes with the proper size bit for the bolts, lining up the
fitting carefully.

Bed in 5200, or the goop of your choice.

This extra step makes sense to me because the epoxy is thinner than the goop,
and will be absorbed into your laminate, be it balsa or otherwise, and so will
ensure a waterproof attachment. I used the technique when mounting a new main
traveler, and was very satisfied.

Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255