[alberg30] Knapps Narrows Bridge

mgrosh mgrosh at shore.intercom.net
Sat Dec 19 04:51:56 PST 1998

At the end of (my) sailing season this past fall, I finally saw what the local Tilghman Islanders have been warning of. The new bridge is operational-and it sucks. It raises and lowers much slower than the old one, so don't plan on tooting a whistle or expect the tender to raise the draw when he sees you. I intend to establish radio contact with him every time I transit the area. Also, because the horizontal clearance is much less than the old one, current velocities and eddies have changed (for the worse). My daughter worked at the restaurant by the bridge last summer and reports watching boats getting in and out of trouble by the bridge was great entertainment for the staff

The standard joke on the island is they sent the wrong bridge to St.. Michael's Maritime Museum.

Michael Grosh
Checkmate #220