[alberg30] Re: bottom paint

Jacques Guerette Jacques.Guerette.jguerett at nt.com
Tue Dec 8 05:56:13 PST 1998

From: "Jacques Guerette" <Jacques.Guerette.jguerett at nt.com>

Gordon,
I have the article and can fax it to you if you've got a number.  It turns
out the story was written by the owner of an 1974 Alberg 30 called White
Opal!  Clearly, its VERY relevant. A key paragraph reads:

"The energy to remove the (bottom) paint comes from the (baking soda)
crystal shattering rather than any abrasive action from the blasting
process.  Because of this, there is no scratching or roughing of the
gelcoat, so the job is very kind to the surface.  In fact, the particles are
gentle enought to remove paint from an empty pop tin without denting the
aluminum!"

The article comes from a Canadian magazine called DIY Boat Owner (Fall '98).
In another issue, the same author published a story about restoring the
soggy decks on his A30.  The magazine has a URL at www.diy-boat.com.

Jacques