[alberg30] Re: proposed new gummint regs

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Dec 9 11:01:45 PST 1998

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

   My copy of the Rules of the Road is on the boat, so I can't quote it
with precision, but high-speed craft such as hovercraft and I some
inland barges are required to carry flashing yellow lights. I think
(don't quote me) hovercraft lights must flash at 60 times a minute. This
is probably the kind of flashing strobe the Maryland pilots had in mind.

    I can sympathize with them, driving heavy vessels at 18 knots up the
Bay at night and finding some fool contesting the right of way because
he is under sail. Actually under the rules, vessels constrained by their
draft to stay within a channel have the right of way and only an idiot
would contest it. I learned that on the Delaware River in 1959 when I
thought I was giving room to a passing freighter at night. Though the
river was five miles wide the channel was less than 1/4-mile across at
his depth and he ran a lot closer to me than I liked - I could hear him
swear.
    If we all know the rules and behave as seamen such ideas will not be
brought up.

                                    - Gordon White