[alberg30] Re: Question - Average Heeling Angles for A30's

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Dec 10 16:44:33 PST 1998

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Jackie,
In 15 kts, I would expect a properly sailed Alberg 30 to be carrying a #2
genny and a full main, and while I cant tell you how many degrees she would be
healing, I would think the toe rail on the lee side would be a few inches
above the water , ie. a few inches of topsides would be showing.

The older designed boats, with the narrower beam, and slacker bilges, and
possibly heavier ballast, need to heel over more than more modern designs to
get to their optimum speeds for a given wind strength . The working system is
the righting moment of the keel, the fulcrum or 'balance point' that is the
bouyancy of the turn of the bilge, and the force in the sails, both heeling
and forward driving.

Before a boat can be going her optimum speed for a given wind condition, the
heeling motion of the sails must be in equilibrium  with the righting moment
of the ballast keel. The fulcrum, or balance point, is the bouyancy of the
turn of the bilge.

So, given a certain wind strength, say 15 kts, with a properly canvased Alberg
30, the boat is not going to get up to her optimum speed until she is heeling
over to the point that the weight of the wind in the sails is equal to the
righting moment of the weight of the keel working against the bouyancy of the
turn of the bilge. Any less heel, and the force of the wind will push her
over, but not drive her forward. Once she is 'on her lines' for that wind
strength, than any force in the sails will drive her forward.

(That is, until the wind strength increases further, and she is heeled beyond
her sailing lines, which means it's time  to reef!)

So, with the narrow beam and slacker bilges of the old design, that means to
get to your optimum speed, there is going to be  more heel.
I'm not sure I have explained this very well. Maybe one of the engineers here
on the list can bail me out!

Today, it's a matter of taste, obviously, because you can choose any boat you
want.
For me, sailing  an older designed boat like the Alberg 30 on a blusterry day,
sitting up on the cockpit coaming, feet braced on the cockpit seat,
occasionaly burying the lee rail in puffs, is really exciting. There is a
power and momentum you just don't get on a modern design. Still, the design is
modern enough to sail to windward beautifuly, and handle and balance well. The
truly traditional hulls, like a Colin Archer, for instance, are beautiful
boats, but you don't buy one if you are at all interested in performance
sailing.

OK Jackie, i hope I haven't hurt more than helped!

Good Luck,

Lee Trachtenberg
Stargzer #255