[alberg30] Re: Electric Fuel Pump conversion, etc.

Robert E Johns bobjns at nais.com
Mon Dec 14 13:55:31 PST 1998

From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

Dan,

Thanks  for the information.

I added alarms for temperature and oil pressure when I rewired the boat
several years ago. I added the  oil pressure switch by using a nipple and
tee in the oil line to the oil pressure gauge. (You might want to try the
same thing. When we first got Wind Call,the carburator float valve used to
stick and dump gasoline out of the carburator. This has made me very
sensitive about gas spills and I don't think that I would be comfortable
with an electric fuel pump that could keep pumping if the engine were to
die.)

The temperature switch was not as easy - the water has to flow by the
sensor so a 'T' wouldn't work. I ended up finding a temperature switch that
bolted to the cylinder head. I am sure it is not very accurate but it has
gone off once when I apparently caught a plastic bag o the water intake.

I don't have that tee for the ice box (?) drain (cooler) in my hose, but
the hoses themselves are flexible marine exhaust hoses and I think that
they are original. I took one off once to check it and it was such a job to
get it off and then back on that I hesitate to do it again. They really
weren't that flexible! As the boat is a 1969, I probably do need to check
them again.

Bob Johns
Wind Call #397