[alberg30] spinnaker pole

Tom Sutherland tomsu at uky.campuscw.net
Tue Dec 29 06:59:00 PST 1998

From: Tom Sutherland <tomsu at uky.campuscw.net>

For what it is worth, for those who are in need of a spinnaker pole I
believe that it would be pretty easy to put one together. Mine is in my
garage so I took a real close look at it and it seems that the only
thing that would be difficult to locate might  be the ends.

I believe this is likely the poll which came my Alberg (#412) and it is
comprised of a 2 1/2 in. aluminum extrusion which measures 9 feet 5
inches in length. It is not anodized but seems to have held up
reasonably well. At each end is a teak plug which has been turned to fit
into the alum. several inches and turned to a taper to receive the
bronze ends. The ends are through bolted to the teak and the teak is
secured to the alum. ext. with four alum rivets at each end.

The bridle is comprised of 5/16 in. 7x19 ss cable which is put together
with swage fittings. To make my bridle would require about 25 ft. of
cable, 8 swages, 4 ss thimbles, and two    1/4 x 2 1/4 ss rings. this
can all be bought from West Marine. You could use a "hand swaging tool"
or take it to a rigging shop for that chore.

The alum. extrusion can be bought through an alum. distributor or I
believe from a large electrical contractor. I believe the larger size
alum. conduit would work. You can first obtain the alum. ext. and the
ends before you turn down the wood so you can adapt about any end
fittings to the poll by turning them to fit. Also the teak on my poll is
not a solid piece but rather two pieces glued up and I suppose you could
glue up three or more if you pieces were thinner.

My poll is 10 ft. 9 in. long overall

If anyone has any  questions I will be glad to try and be more specific.

Tom S
A30 #412