[alberg30] Origo Stoves

Guy Lalonde guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 10 15:07:35 PST 1998

Hi Lee,
you mentionned you have an Origo stove. I have a pressurized
alcool system which I hate. Cinched off all the hairs on my
right hand trying to light it once. I don't feel safe using that
thing and am interested in replacing it with an Origo stove.

A friend of mine (who is a professional chef ) has an Origo on
his boat (a non-A30) and he loves it. I noticed that the flame
coming out of an Origo can be quite high. As long as a pot or
pan is over it, I don't see any problem.

If your A30 is like mine the stove is located on the starboard
edge of the galley counter on starboard, which places the burners
just below the area where the coach roof meets the deck.
Origo claims to make a flush unit that can fit in the existing
cutout for a pressurized alcool stove. (Hang in there I'm getting
to the point !  )

So my concern about the Origo is with the height of the flame
and the location of the stove. If I forgot to lower the flame before
removing a pot, is the flame high enough to melt or come in
contact and burn the coach roof / deck join area just above ?
Maybe a protective plate in that area is required ? What has been
your experience with the Origo ?

With my existing pressurized alcool system, even set at high the
flame is not that high once it is going.

By the way, found the Origo web site if anyone needs info on them.

http://www.origo-sweden.com/Default.htm

Guy        Cyrena #466
guy.lalonde at sympatico.ca