[alberg30] Atomic 4 sounds

F. Otta fotta at yorkville.com
Tue Jun 2 06:37:14 PDT 1998

From: "F. Otta" <fotta at yorkville.com>

Hi All,

I just joined the list and look forward to corresponding with fellow A30
owners. My Alberg is hull 545 made in 1973 and named Suvarov (either
after the Czarist General or the island - depending on my mood). It's
located outside Toronto in Pickering on Lake Ontario. I have owned her
(him?) for 2 years and have spent a great deal of time renovating,
improving etc.

Anyway, the Atomic 4 is starting to make a strange noise:

While running it will ocassionally make a high pitched "squeaking"
noise. It seems to run OK though. My oil pressure gauge reads low
(around 7 psi) - I haven't yet checked to see if the gauge or sender is
faulty. The oil is clean and I change it regularly. Could my bearings be
going ? WOuld synthetic oil protect the engine and bearings better? If
the oil pressure is low my guess is that more efficient (synthetic) oil
might make up for reduced oil flow ???

Regards
Frank