[alberg30] Re: ceiling for A30

jsss at net1plus.com jsss at net1plus.com
Sun Jun 7 15:59:55 PDT 1998

From: jsss at net1plus.com

>From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at planet.net>
>
>Slat ceiling is on my list of secondary projects for #499. There's an
>excellent explanation contained in the book "This Old Boat" by Don Casey,
>page @ 193, even has a nice diagram. I will copy it and mail it to anyone
>who wants it. The book is @ $35- worth the money, but I actually bought it
>just for this topic. It also has great article on adding an extra forestay
>to older plastic classics.
>
>Presently we have a wood grain-looking peg board on the walls below the
>shelves in the main salon and vberth. I replaced the original pegboard with
>this stuff approximately 18 months ago and it has not stood the test of
>time. Too much moisture in the air causes serious mold, bubbling in
>laminate,and it looks cheesy too.
>
>I think slat ceiling is the way to go. Job doesn't seem to be too
>complicated, and it will offer a great way to brighten the interior. I like
>my interior  especially dark, complete mahogany with evergreen cushions
>etc. I love an interior that feels like a cave,  thats just me, but a
>lighter contrast on the bulkheads would be nice. Regarding ceiling, I have
>some thoughts, though:
>
>1. I plan to install some type of insulation between the ceiling and the
>bulkheads. When we lived aboard, we wintered over and froze our asses off.
>It was particularly difficult to keep heat inside the vberth throughout the
>night. We also had major condensation. That is until I put 1/2" Styrofoam
>insulation between the peg board and the bulkhead. Made a huge difference.
>But I went the cheap route then. I once saw some insulation that  was
>flexible and had a foil covering at Loews, was about 100 times more
>efficient than Styrofoam, but it was kinda expensive at the time- like $10
>a foot or more. Thats what I plan to go to this time. Trick will be making
>sure you don't see the insulation behind the ceiling.
>
>2. I also plan to put tight nap outdoor carpet inside the cabinets and
>shelves and maybe above the shelf in the vberth. I have seen this done on a
>Lancer sailboat by a friend, and it made a great difference for
>condensation. Looks good and keeps the clothes etc dry that are stowed
>there. Trick is to secure temp with contact cement, while waterproof glue
>dries permanently. Also bulkheads and topsides need to be relatively
>watertight. I think the more fiberglass I cover with the carpet or
>insulation, the less condensation I will be likely to get on the liner.
>
>3. Since you've got the vberth in disarray anyway, why not adjust the
>shelves on the bulkheads. I originally followed the A30 manual article on
>turning the vberth into a double bed, but I didn't raise or reduce the
>width of the shelves like was suggested. Thought it was too much work, and
>I didn't realize what a difference a few inches make. The results were I
>banged the hell out of my knees, elbows, shoulders etc when I slept there
> [...]

When we first started gutting the cabin in late '97, we removed the
peg-board that covered the sides of the v-berth.  While reading Dan Spurr's
"Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat," we decided to install the ceiling.
After painting the entire cabin (including the sides of the hull), the
tabbing on the ceiling supports was reinforced with epoxy resin.  Since the
rest of the cabin of #114 is mahogany, we purchased a half-sheet of
Mahogany plywood from our local  exotic hardwoods supplier.  In order to
allow for ventilation, we decided that a two inch space in between each
slat would be sufficient, which necessitated cutting eight three inch wide
slats.  These pieces were varnished with several coats of epifanes hi-gloss
(both sides) and installed in the boat.  The 1/2" plywood bent easily to
the shape of the hull, and was fastened using bronze wood screws.

        Carina Vela came with the trim for these shelves removed (one piece
broken), which necessitated the fabrication of new ones.  When I layed down
in the cabin last week, I was constantly bumping my shoulders on the
shelving, so I assume we should have trimmed it down a little.  Anyway, we
installed new 4 inch wide teak trim (1/2 in) on each side of the v-berth.
This gives the shelving a pleasing look while matching the ceiling below
it.  The higher trim also gives increased room for clothing or other items
on the shelves.
        To finish the v-berth, we ran wiring for cabin lights on the
underside of the shelving, and installed a flush mount berth light on each.
These light the v-berth very efficiently, and cannot be seen unless
someone is lying  under them.  Another nice touch with these lights is that
they enhance the color of the mahogany ceiling below them.

Regards,

Christopher Sousa
Carina Vela

                                       The Sousa's