[alberg30] Mystery bushing

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 22 06:20:51 PDT 1998

From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>

When I went to reattach the boom after the yard restepped my mast, I found
a small 1/4 inch long split bushing on the bolt that attaches the gooseneck to
the mast fitting. I wasn't around when the yard earlier took it off when
unstepping the
mast in the first place.

The question is, what's this little bushing for (and why is it split).
Moreover,
where does it go: beneath or above the gooseneck within the fitting?
Or was it supposed to be a sleeve bearing inside the gooseneck?
Is it necessary at all?

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181