[alberg30] Re: projects in progress !!

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Thu Jun 4 11:07:55 PDT 1998

From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

> Tom Sutherland said:
>
>         I too am interested in an access hatch in the cockpit sole. I have
> one in there now , but it is not of the quality I would like and it leaks
> appreciably in a heavy rain. My cut-out is 10x14 and I have been unable to
> locate a quality hatch to fit the opening.........I really do not want to
> enlarge the opening any .

Have you considered molding your own hatch out of fiberglass?  I'm very
wary of such changes.  You want a lot of strength and water tightness
in the cockpit sole.

>         I also plan on replacing the laminate on the interier surfaces and
> am not sure what must be done to remove the top of the ice box. I have
> looked at it and it is not real clear to me exactly must be done to remove
> it. any advice would be appreciated.

I've not worked on mine, yet.  I've heard that you need to work a hacksaw
blade under the plywood top and cut the nails that are hidden by the
laminate on top.  I don't know if all are built the same; Whitby wasn't
always consistent.

>         I could go on for sometime but must really get to work ! I also
> would be glad to hear from any and all projects in progress !

I'm currently recoring sections of the deck and cabin that have suffered
from water infiltration and neglect.  I did the cockpit sole a couple
years ago and I also plan to go back and finish the surface of that
job.  Of course, there are other items on my list, but this will keep
me busy for awhile.

I would be interested in hearing about your window restoration, though.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/