[alberg30] Re: bilge access

Steve Weingart shw at gate.net
Fri Jun 5 11:49:36 PDT 1998

From: Steve Weingart <shw at gate.net>

Frank,

>I took some time to explore the non-draining aspect of the bilge area
>under the batteries and it turns out that there indeed is a drain (hole)
>oval at the aft end of the area, draining into the bilge sump through
>the seperator bulkhead. This drain goes to (almost) the bottom of the
>sump. I had to use a long wire to poke thru the accumulated crud to get
>it to drain but now it's OK.

Congrats, you get drainage without any cutting!

>Gettin *all* of the water out of this area
>is a problem since the bilge pump(s) are not capable of draining the
>sump completely.

A trick that someone put up in rec.boats several years ago comes the
closest...

If you have a large electric bilge pump in the sump, raise it up on a block
several inches.  Now get the *smallest* bilge pump that you can find and
use very small hose to plumb it.  Put it on the bottom of the bilge.  A
small bilge pump will pump to a shallower depth, and the small tubing will
contain less water to flow back into the bilge (I've had enough bad
experience with check valves that I will not use them anymore).

This is the closest way that I know of to get to a dry bilge.  This will
also keep the float switch out of the crud in the bilge which will likely
keep it happy and reliable for a longer time.  Some folks put a second
float swicth half way up in the bilge where it will never get wet unless
the first switch fails (and if that happens the second one can save your
boat, or at least your stuff).

Happy Friday,

Steve