[alberg30] Re: teak

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Wed Jun 10 13:35:23 PDT 1998

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

Robert E Johns wrote:

> From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>
>
> Dan & others
>
> When we bought our A30, Wind Call (#397) in 1976 the lazarette hatch had
> been sanded by a previous owner...

I had never considered that the wood showing through might have been
teak, but (evidently) it didn't look like it at the time. In any case, I
have an epoxyed veneer over the top now, and since it goes to the edges,
there is no black caulking.

> The seat inserts were sanded once or twice again...

The previous owner had rebuilt the setee hatches out of solid teak, so I
have no experience with the flexing problem. I have had to epoxy where
the planks separated a few years ago.

> This year I sanded down the main hatch and it really came out nice...

I will try that when I think I am ready to replace the teak with a
veneer, and maybe I won't have to replace it. Thanks for the info. As
far as I can tell, my companionway hatch is original, so maybe it's
construction is like yours.

> By the way, one year I made the mistake of oiling the cockpit seats...

I have them varnished, and they do get hot, but I have cushions for
people who want them.

Thanks for the info,

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies #201, Ithaca, NY, Cayuga Lake