[alberg30] Re: New Forhatch

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 23:40:55 PDT 1998

From: <FINNUS505 at aol.com>

Hi Stephen,

I wanted to go for an old fashioned look at the forhatch, so I opted for the
10 inch round dead light. Still get a lot of light down below, but hatch looks
it came from one of the '30's sailing auxiliaries I learned to sail on; a 1939
S&S 35' Weekender, or a 1938 Rhodes Bounty, or a 1913 Owen 55' "P" Class
sloop. Couldn't help myself. Dont worry, I'm not converting to deadeyes and
lanyards, or mounting oil burning P&S lights on the shrouds!

Glad your design works for you!
Also glad to hear she balances. Had an Islander 32 once that had the worst
weather helm I'd seen. mast step could not be moved forward, and raking the
mast forward within reason had little effect. If I wanted her to self steer
with a lashed helm, I had to let the main luff, significantly, with the helm
still pulled way up to windward.

There is some play in the tiller gooseneck, and I have not gotten to exploring
it yet. I hope it is not a significant problem. Stargazer has the older setup;
a fiberglass tube between the bottom of the boat and the cockpit sole, so at
least I dont have to worrry about a steeenking stuffing box. (we dont need no
steeeeeenking stuffing boxs!)

Finished wiring the mast today. New wires for mast head, steaming, and coax
for VHF antenna. Ran all three inside airconditioning insulation hose, to
deaden the banging sound while I'm trying to sleep, and protect the wires from
chafe against the myriads of sharp fastenings that protrude into the mast.
Bought 6' lengths of the stuff from Home Depot for 99 cents each. Passed three
up from the bottom of the mast, around the two wires and the antenna, and
passed the other three down, through the mainhalyard sheave slot, around the
masthead light wire and the antenna. I taped the joints together with duct
tape, just in case I ever want to pull the hose out for some reason. After the
hose was all in place, I lead the wires through their approprite holes in the
mast and attached butt connectors to the light wires, and coax adaptors to the
antenna wire. We'll see how it works.

Had a devil of a time soldering the coax adaptors. The power in the yard is
far from my boat, and the amp and voltage drop over the long extension cord
yeilded just barely enough heat to melt the solder. Had to wait for the
slightest breath of wind to stop! Very frustrating, but I got it done.

Bes of Luck!

Lee Trachtenberg

Stargazer #255