[alberg30] Re: mast step/plate ?

Robert E Johns bobjns at nais.com
Fri Jun 26 07:59:46 PDT 1998

From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

Hi Lee,

>The Schmidt's, with #248 and an Atomic 4, tell me that they have very adequate
>power with their two blade prop, and further, that when sailing with the
>engine off, the the prop aligns itself veriticaly, in the rudder cut out,
>presenting minimal drag.

I've marked my shaft coupling so that I can align the prop vertically and
lock it with the transmission, but I haven't tried leaving it out of gear
to see if it will self-align. Will try that next time.

>It is a moot point right now, because it sure looks like I would have to
>remove the rudder on Stargazer to get the three bladed prop off. There is very
>little clearance between the blades and the rudder, even when you angle the
>rudder to one side or the other.

I haven't had to remove the rudder to take either of the props off or to
install them. I think that both props are 12 " diameter.

On the business of balance: Wind Call has too much weight aft which can
affect balance. I keep telling myself that I need to get some pig lead up
forward. I carry too  many anchors aft. When cruising, the 12# Danforth HT
is on the foredeck and we carry a 22# Standard Danforth as a storm anchor
and a 35# fisherman for grass (as at Cuttyhunk outer harbor) and for rock
(in Maine). All anchors have chain and 200 foot nylon rodes. I'm not sure
how much lead I really need to add. Any others out there added lead forward?

Regards,
	Bob