[alberg30] Re: Tiller play (was New Forhatch)

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Jun 26 10:12:57 PDT 1998

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>
>
> > FINNUS505 at aol.com said:
> >
> > There is some play in the tiller gooseneck, and I have not gotten to
exploring
> > it yet. I hope it is not a significant problem.
>
> This is a common problem...

I had the same problem, and applied several fixes that turn out to be
holding up much better than I expected.

1. I replaced the allen-head cap screw with the next bigger size (can't
recall the diameter off hand), and retapped the tiller head and tapped
the hole in the rudder post as well. I realize that it is not ideal to
have the two threaded holes in "series", but its worked well for two
tears.

2. Ground the rudder post head fitting "sides" square on a surface
grinder, and filed the tiller end piece mating surfaces. Filled the gaps
with thin stainless washers.

3. Made the holes in the rudder post slightly deeper where the 1/4"
allen-head set-screws go in, and replaced them with slightly longer
ones.

Its into its second season now, and it still has less play than it ever
did, its actually quite tight.

Hope this is helpful.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
#211, Watcher of the Skies, Cayuga Lake, ithaca, NY