[alberg30] Re: mast step/plate ?

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Jun 23 22:16:47 PDT 1998

From: <FINNUS505 at aol.com>

This list is great!!

I tried to move the screws holding the mast step plate once, and found them
all frozen. I was wary of twisting too hard and possibly twisting off one or
more screw heads, leaving me in a worse condition than having the step plate
frozen in one position. I was also afraid that too much force might crack the
cast aluminum mast step plate. Replacing that part would be difficult, at
best, I'm sure. Now I know I just need to go to Sears and buy an impact
wrench!!

Question; has anyone found they have to move the plate to extreme forward
position to neutralize weather helm? We still have not sailed Stargazer, so I
don't know how she will balance. Our alberg 22 used to balance beautifully. If
I set the tiller 'a bit' to windward with the hiking stick wedged against the
leeward seat, she would self steer and sail straight as long as the wind held
constant. I hope Stargazer will balance as well!!

Thanks, friends!!!!

Lee Trachtenberg

Stargazer #255