[alberg30] Re: what's that tang on my mast?

Mon Nov 2 08:11:28 PST 1998

> From: greg vandenberg <fashionguy at ameritech.net>
>
> I was thinking of picking up a used sail (as a
> staysail) to use when the wind starts blowing and i find myself on the wind.
> I don't want to buy another sail for the roller furling sys. but was thinking
> this would solve my problem when i was positioned on the wind.  If this is  a
> good solution... how would you rig the tack?

If you look at the sailplan
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/A30sailplan.jpg
you'll see that the staysail tack is shown a bit behind the stem,
about where the cleats are positioned on the older boats.  I think
that I'd be inclined to start by fastening the inner forestay to
the stem fitting, aft of the existing forestay.  I don't know
enough about rigging geometry to know what placement is best, but
this would certainly be the easiest place to start.

If you do try this experiment, I hope you'll write it up for the
newsletter.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/