[alberg30] #263

Mon Nov 30 10:29:47 PST 1998

From: bnewman at netcom.ca

Guy:

Re: Mast strength

I know the man who was production manager for Whitby boat works for several
years.  Apparently the story about the wall thickness is this.  The very
early  Albergs were built with the same size mast section but with a wall of
normal thickness.  A few boats racing in the Chesapeake, I believe were
dismasted in strong winds so changes had to be made.  Rather than increase
the mast section size, which would have been expensive, Kurt Hansen decided
to double the wall thickness which was a more economical way to go and seems
to have done the trick.

Bill Newman #233