[alberg30] Cockpit sole access

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Nov 15 19:19:49 PST 1998

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi  Paul,
For different reasons, I installed a  Bomar hatch in my cockpit sole. I think
it measures about 20 by 20, or so. I bought it at West Marine for about 60
bucks.

I installed it in the forward end of the cockpit, and the access gained to the
engine, the seacocks for the cockpit, the stuffing box, and the exhaust system
is amazing.
One caution though; My boat, # 255 has masonite coring in the deck and cockpit
sole. It is tough stuff. If I remember correctly, there were two layers of
masonite in the cockpit sole, sandwiched by heavy layers of glass. I used a
Sawzall to cut through the laminate, and rushing, and probably not changing
blades often enough, the vibration did cause some delamination along the edges
of the cut hole, in otherwise very healthy looking masonite.
I let GitRot soak into the open edge of the laminate, and clamped it, and then
bolted a 2x4 beam athwartships just aft of the access hatch hole.
I would still do the job, because on my boat, the volvo diesel that the
previous owner installed is tall, and totaly precludes the normal access to
the stuffing box.  If you do it, just go slow, and keep changing to sharp
blades. Nothing dulls a blade like fiberglass. Even if you  dont cause any
delamination, sealing the edge of the laminate, masonite or balsa, with
thinned, penetrating epoxy like GitRot, is probably  a good idea.
Good luck,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255