[alberg30] Tiller Cap and Strap

Mon Nov 16 06:38:41 PST 1998

Stephen,

I think that the threaded screw might be a modification.  I know that
some of the early boats had tiller heads that merely clamped onto the
rudder post.  Our boat (1973, #543) has the Edson tiller head.  We
replaced it a couple years back.  It was really nice to get rid of
the loose play, but that started to come back.  The problem is that
the ears on the tiller head, where the bolt goes through the strap,
take a lot of the stress and bend inwards.  I've since put a piece of
bronze pipe between them as a bushing.  If I had it to do over, I'd
put that in when it was new.

As for suggestions, you could get a key slot cut into your rudder post
or you could drill a new tiller head for a bolt such as you have now.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/