[alberg30] Re: Compadres

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sat Nov 28 01:01:03 PST 1998

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Tom,
    It would probably do you a lot of good to see how Alberg put the
interior together originally. There were a lot of neat arrangements. I
can take some photos, but it is hard to see even in photos, for example
just how the hanging locker doors swing. Do you have the current
handbook? There may be an original boat somewhere reasonably near you
that you could look at. The vertical engine cover has three folding
steps on it that are hinged so you can get access to the area under the
sink, for another example.
    My boat has a W-21 Westerbeke. It is impossible to get at the raw
water pump without removing the alternator and taking the pump off the
engine. Unlike the Westerbeke book's diagram, the impeller won't slip
off the shaft; it has a split washer that holds the impeller to its
shaft.
    My wiring harness burned up and the replacement did not exactly
match the original. The alternator plugs were reversed, among other
differences. I am currently working with Westerbeke to understand some
of these things.
    Warning: be sure there is no screen on the end of the fuel pickup in
your tank. These things get plugged up at the worst possible time and
are usually inaccessible in an emergency. I put in parallel Racor
filters with valves so I can readily switch from one to another if one
gets plugged and the filters are then accessible for cleaning without
dismantling the tank; also put in a second 5-gallon fuel tank so I have
both a little more fuel but I have a backup in case something in tank #
1 gets clogged. Of course you then need both a supply valve and a valve
for the injector return flow, but that was not hard to plumb.
    I built a chart table under the cockpit hatch to the icebox -
replaced the lid with lexan and get to the icebox via a horizontal hatch
in the cabin.
                - Gordon White A-275