[alberg30] Re: Things to watch for !

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Sat Nov 28 08:12:51 PST 1998

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

	Flaws are roominess (lack of, esp small cockpit), heeling (which some
consider fun) and, judging from all the crazing I've seen on balsa cored
(later)  boats (which you don't see on the early masonite cored ones) as well
as the downside of liners (limited access to the inside of the hull for
inspection, modification and repair), I have to say honestly that I would give
the nod in quality to the early boats (although I may be prejudiced because I
own one). Also, look for sagging of the mast support arch (between the head
and the forward cabin) and look for rot in bulkheads and chainplates if the
boat has not had a resealing of its deck hardware in a while as well as
delamination of the deck itself (esp balsa cored versions).
	The Alberg is a great SAILING boat. I don't know about cruising or dockside.
I am not giving up my Alberg. But if you are looking for an older cruising
boat, check out Cruising World's series called "Classic Plastic" (Oct/Nov of
"97 I think). There are a lot of great older boats out there.
Good Luck!
Paul
Ashwagh #23