[alberg30] Re: Compadres

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Nov 28 11:37:32 PST 1998

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi Tom,
My question is: what fun  is to buy a boat in good shape? Half the fun is
finding an old girl that needs to be rescued, and restore her to her former
glory!!!!
O f all the damage that you describe done by the previous owner, the most
unfortunate thing is that he removed the ice box from the port side of the
engine.  It was a nice piece of furniture, teak, and well joined. I had to
take the lower part of mine apart to get access to the fuel pump on the volvo,
and in the process found that the insulation was very poor. Sheets of 1/2 inch
styrofoam cut roughly to shape, and pushed away from the wooden case and
againxt the fiberglass  icebox liner withpieces of rolled up 1967
newspaper!!!!! I kept the nice teak outer joinerwork in place, and turned the
icebox into a locker. I'm going to make the new ice box under the settee we
will build on the stbd. side.
You might consider the replacement interior I described in my last EM. I saw
it on a 1960 Ted Hood 30 footer, and it looked like it worked very well. It
put the galley nearly amidships, so rolling is reduced, then with the setee, 4
people can sit at the table, 2 a side, and there's nothing quite so cozy as a
quarterberth. I am going to build a half bulkhead running for and aft, with a
nice shelf on top, in the way of the for end of the quarterberth, on its
inboard face, to prevent any spray from the main companion soaking the bunk.
Nothing worse than having to sleep in a wet bunk!
You should get some photos of the old ice boxfrom the port side from one of
us, or old Yachting Magazine ads from the time, to see if you want to try to
duplicate it. If you want, I will send you some photos I have.
When you sailed her, did you detect any weakness from the maststep area, since
he removed so much bulkhead? My guy removed alot of the inboard aspects of the
bulkheads that made the hanging locker to stbd, as well as some of the aft
bulkhead for the head.  It worries me, but it sounds like your guy removed
more, and if you detect no problem, that would be a releif.
Sounds Like you did well in the sail dept. I beleive the true measure of a man
is his sail locker:) Stargazer came with some sorry sails. There is a spinaker
which I am sure is from 1967. It has a zipper running down its center, so it
was probably some early experiment for a dual purpose sail; reacher with
zipper up, runner with zipper open. No spinaker pole, so I have'nt tried it
out. Looks unused.
The nicest sail is a high cut yankee jib, prob 110% or so. But it is rigged
for roller furling, which Stargazer doesn't have, so it probably was a second
hand purchase, or winnings in a seagoing poker game. I fastened grommets along
the luff, and attached hanks.
Dangling in shreds was the old fashioned roller furler genny, the kind on its
own very heavy luff wire, and independant of the forstay. I think this sail
was standard eqpmt. on the A30. It must have unrolled at the mooring or
something, because 50% of the seams were open, and the sun screen on the leach
was mostly gone. But it was the stitching that let go, the fabric still seems
to have life in it, so i spent some fun hours this winter laying the sail out
on my living room floor, and resewing the seams, and replacing the navy blue
sunscreen.
The main was still stricltly roller furling, and was torn right across, 2/3 of
the way up. The fabric was very thin up near the top of the sail, like it had
chaffed alot or something, or left on the boom with no cover. I fixed it,
because I just can't own something that doesn't work, but I also ordered a new
Main, with two rows of slab reefing.
The heel of the tiller was checked in three different directions, and while I
toyed with the idea of simply sticking it in a cup of epoxy and letting it
soak the great repairer up, the wife talked me into buying one of those
beautiful off the shelf laminated tillers from West Marine. I don't regret it.
Looks nice, and will be stronger to handle the tiller extension we will add.
Rona's favorite spot is up on the rail, steering to windward in a blow, lee
rail occasionaly dragging, so a tiller extension is a must! There's more, but
i just can't remember it now.
Keep in touch,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255