[alberg30] Re: diesel filters

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Sat Nov 28 09:52:46 PST 1998

Lee,
   Parallel filters are standard on larger commercial diesels. I served
as chief engineer for a time on the 125 ft schooner Alexandria and as
mate on one of the Spirit dinner cruise boats and had a chance to see
how they worked. I will sketch something and mail it to you as I don't
think I can e-mail it.

    Some of the larger boats, with multiple tanks, have very complex
tankage & plumbing, manual and power pumps, etc. They usually can
transfer fuel to balance the ship and/or access clean fuel in case one
tank gets contaminated with dirt or sea water. The idea with the
parallel filters is 1) to have a backup in case #1 clogs and 2) to be
able to clean a dirty filter while the engines get fuel through the
other. We did that routinely aboard the Alexandria.
    After a near-disaster with my own boat when sediment stirred up by
heavy weather got into the screen inside the tank (Very bad idea, that
screen), I put on the parallel Racors and the auxiliary tank. It was not
all that hard, nor expensive. Certainly no more than the cost of the
damage and the tow!

                                                - Gordon