[alberg30] Re: what's that tang on my mast?

J.Sousa jsss at net1plus.com
Mon Nov 2 12:10:24 PST 1998

From: "J.Sousa" <jsss at net1plus.com>

Greg,
    When Yves Gelinas sailed Jean du Sud around the capes, he rigged an inner forestay with a
club-footed jib boom.  I don't know how this would work out on the rest of our boats, because
he also had double spreaders to take the load off the inner forestay.  Another option would
be to put a bowsprit on deck, thus bringing the genoa farther forward and allowing more room
for a staysail.  This would take some major modifications though, and would essentially alter
the sailing characteristics of the boat.  Ultimately, you would equalize the large main by
having more sail up front.

Just a few thoughts...

Chris Sousa
Carina Vela