[alberg30] Re: what's that tang on my mast?

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 2 12:28:48 PST 1998

From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>

At 11:11 02-11-98 -0500, George Dinwiddie wrote:

>If you look at the sailplan
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/A30sailplan.jpg
>you'll see that the staysail tack is shown a bit behind the stem,
>about where the cleats are positioned on the older boats.  I think
>that I'd be inclined to start by fastening the inner forestay to
>the stem fitting, aft of the existing forestay.  I don't know
>enough about rigging geometry to know what placement is best, but
>this would certainly be the easiest place to start.

Are we sure that triangle on the sailplan is really a staysail, after
all?  The supposed tack attachment point is just unreinforced deck,
in my boat, anyway, and doesn't seem suitable as a strong chainplate
for a heavy weather sail. Also, the plan seems to show the "clew"
below deck level and well aft of the mast. How do you sheet such an
arrangement?

The area shown looks about the same as the #3, but more
complicated to rig. Why have such a sail - just fly #3?

How come the brochure doesn't advertise an optional foresail?

Having said all that, what else could it be? Some obscure
racing measurement - J Plus, or such?

Any naval architects in the house?

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181