[alberg30] Re: different rigs

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 14:18:07 PST 1998

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

Yes a bowsprit would be pretty and a self tending jib would be a great
convenience to one-handing.
But what I'd like to know is: How would this affect the individual who did it
vis-a-vis the class (Albergs one-design status). Would racing commitees allow
him to compete?
I've always had a secret desire to replace the iron keel with lead (yes, it
can be gotten out. Just cut away the top that was glassed to the hull, core a
hole in the bottom big enough for the nose of a bottle jack and pop it out).
Phil Beigel told me he knew of one Canadian that was built with lead by
request of the owner and it walked away from everyone else in the fleet. While
I'm fantasizing, why not lead and spent uranium ingots? The idea is to get the
center of gravity lower. And make the new rig out of carbon fiber. The "Atomic
Keel" would be a good compliment to the Atomic Four
Someone told me the earlier boats were light on ballast and that to come up to
commitee standards,  free weight must be added in the bilge. Is that true?
Regards,
Paul
Ashwagh #23