[alberg30] Re: what's that tang on my mast?

greg vandenberg fashionguy at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 16 08:03:42 PST 1998

From: greg vandenberg <fashionguy at ameritech.net>

Lee and Gordon... I've been trying to ferret out the pro's and con's of adding
an inner stay to my A30 for the purpose of improving her windward ability. The
sail I have attached to the head stay is a #3 genny on a harken roller furling
sys. The only headsail I own!
I've been trying to come up with a criteria for this rig that would allow a
boat to carry: approx. a 130sq ft sail (an estimate)/ attached at the mast
approx. 3 ft from the head / attached to the deck at the chain locker bulkhead
with stay extended to the bow in the chain locker/ a removable stay on
deck/and have NO running backs.

I have come up with a few questions that I need some answers to: 1ST... is
130sq ft sail going to give me the performance I'm looking for (windward
ability) in winds 15/20 mph?  2ND... The CD30 another "Alberg" design has a
cutter rig sans running backs and I would like to know WHY this is possible.
It is just what I looking to do.

Do you have some insights? Maybe someone I /you could mail.

kindest regards,
greg vandenberg