[alberg30] Re: Tritons, and making a sloop into a cutter

Robert E Johns bobjns at nais.com
Mon Nov 16 08:21:01 PST 1998

From: Robert E Johns <bobjns at nais.com>

>From: FINNUS505 at aol.com
>
>Hi Gordon!!!
>I looked at a lot of Tritons before I bought Stargazer, so I am familiar with
>the rig.
>Of course, the most distinctive feature is the jumper struts at the
>forstayhounds. I really like that old fashioned rig, and wish our alberg  30's
>had jumpers! of course, they serve no purpose but to allow a fractional rig
>with a relatively smaller for-triangle, and tear the spinaker.

Lee,

It surprised me to find that the Tritons also have a taller mast than the
A30. Alberg may have shortened the mast due to the iron ballast or maybe to
make it a masthead rig. We were rafted with Tritons when we did a Maine
cruise with the New England Triton Association. They thought the A30 was
much bigger than the Triton and it was startling to see the "little" boats
had the bigger masts, as seen from the shore.

Regards,
	Bob Johns
	Wind Call #397