[alberg30] Alberg 22

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Mon Nov 16 18:31:40 PST 1998

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

Hi John,
I guess my enthusiasm for the A22 came through, huh?:)
I have several original brochures for the boat, but unfortunately, I'm not
going to be able to get to them for months, which is not much help to  you!
There is a book, The Field Guide to Sailboats, which has a very superficial
article on the A22, but it does have lines, interior layout, and sailplan.
Barnes and Nobles, and Borders carries the book.
She does have a well for the outboard.  The entire aft lazarette is closed off
from the rest of the boat by a waterproof bulkhead, and the mount and opening
for the engine is in the lazarette.
quarterberths run under the cockpit seats, so the seats do not open, and so
the boat is very water-tight in rough going.
The cabin layout is very open and airy for a 22. The two quaterberths aft,
each bordered outboard by teak pull down lockers, with fiddled shelves above.
Forward of the quarterberths are the sink with stowage beneath to stbd, and to
port, the stove platform, with three teak draws beneath. Forward of the sink
and stove is the V berth, and forward of the V berth is the anchor rode locker
in the forpeak. There is tons of storage beneath the bunks and in the lockers.
I've seen several Cape Dory 22's, and my impression was that it is a heavier,
slower boat. It has bronze ports, heavier teak trim on deck, and much rounder
sections in the bow and stern.
Try to find that book, and you'll get a better idea of what the A22 looks
like.
If you cant find an A22, there are several very simlar Alberg boats in that
size range. The old South Coast 23 is nearly identical to the A22, but for an
off center outboard well, and the Kittiwake 24 is very nice too. The 23 foot
SeaSprite is also very popular, but I dont think they are very fast.
Good luck, John,
Lee