[alberg30] Re: Inner Stay

Pat Lymburner patlym at inforamp.net
Thu Nov 19 06:03:58 PST 1998

From: Pat Lymburner <patlym at inforamp.net>

I have been reading,  with some interest,  the comments about the inner
stay.  On Mynx2 we have two intermediate tangs on the front of the
mast.  The lower one is for the "uphaul" on the spinnaker pole and the
upper is the tang for the staysail fitting.  When we acquired the boat,
it came with an extensive sail inventory among which were two
staysails.  These sails have heavy wire luffs and are attached to a
robust tack fitting on the foredeck.  One of the staysails is made of
heavy spinnaker cloth and is used in conjunction with the spinnaker when
reaching.  It has a narrow range of effectiveness but certainly adds
power to the boat within that range.  The other sail is made of heavy
dacron and we have used it with the #2 genoa on close reaches with some
effectiveness.  However,  when cruising,  we have found that the latter
is too much trouble for the small performance gain  (we are too lazy).
As mentioned,  both of these sails have wire luffs and require a lot of
halyard tension to set properly.  Hope this helps.

Pat Lymburner
Mynx2,  #410