[alberg30] Set the record straight on the Alberg 22

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sun Nov 15 10:57:45 PST 1998

From: FINNUS505 at aol.com

I had the pleasure of owning an Alberg 22 for 8 years.
It is not a "Typhoon Senior" (shiver!) but a distinct Alberg design.
Originaly designed in 1957 as a wooden MORC boat, Alan Nye Scott in
Belleville, Ontario, began production of a fiberglass version in the early
'70's, to modified plans by Alberg. Hundreds of these boats were built.
They were slightly lighter than the Alberg designed Cape Dory 22, and had
finer lines.
My wife and I cruised our Alberg 22, 'Fairwind" extensively while we owned
her, and I also single handed her on many happy voyages. She handled so
beautifully; minimal weather helm, good speed in light air, and ready to take
on 25-30 knots when properly canvassed.
She was so beautifuly balanced, that to get her to self steer, I would just
adjust the length of the hiking stick, set its end into the leeward seat with
a slight weather helm, and she would sail her course indefinitely as long as
the wind held.
Alan, Nye , Scott did a nice job bulding and equiping the boat. All the
running rigging and blocks were nicely oversized, and the halyards were let to
the aft end of the cabin top for easy single handing.  She did have a blister
problem when we got her, as was common for late '70's boats, but we did the
proper repair that first season, and never had another problem.
OK, I can get off my soap box now. I really loved that little boat, and
sometimes wonder if I made a mistake "moving up".
Take care, friends,
Lee Trachtenberg
Stargazer #255