[alberg30] Re: staysail

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Mon Nov 2 04:29:59 PST 1998

From: "Gordon E. White" <gewhite at crosslink.net>

Greg & George,
    I recently looked at just what you are talking about. The local
rigger (Bay Area Riggers Inc., Deltaville) said he thought attaching an
inner stay's head partway up the mast would impose more strain at that
point in a serious blow than the rig was designed to handle. (And such a
staysail would probably only be used in a blow). He thought to handle
the stress would require some sort of strut or additional stays.

    I don't know.... I was also thinking of an inner stay to which I
could attach a self-tending jib for use in moderate weather when
singlehanding. If you have never sailed a self-tending jib, as I had
(also the fore) on my old Tancook Schooner, you don't know how easy life
can be.
                                                            Gordon White
A-275