[alberg30] Rigging an Autotiller

Thu Oct 22 12:13:19 PDT 1998

> Robert Kirk said:
>
> I get around this by attaching the Tillermaster bracket - an oarlock
> socket - to the coaming with C-clamps, and tying back the boat tiller
> to a higher angle, thus keeping the Tillermaster fairly level and
> then adjusting the bracket position for different tacks. It's an
> inelegant solution and requires a lot of adjustment, but it works.
>
> Does anyone have a better solution?

On the Edson tiller head, there is a little tab that the tiller yoke
rests on when the tiller is in the normal position.  I made a little
block of wood that rests on this and raises the tiller up to the
desired height.  This wood block recently broke, and I intend to
replace it with an aluminum piece.

I actually tend to leave this in place all the time.  I find it puts
the tiller at a comfortable height.  It's easy to kick it out of
place when necessary, however.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/