[alberg30] Wheel Steering

bnewman at netcom.ca bnewman at netcom.ca
Fri Oct 23 07:20:36 PDT 1998

From: bnewman at netcom.ca

I have Edson Wheel steering on my Alberg 30 #233 and it is no problem at
all.  It is mounted at the forward end of the cockpit about 10" from the
bridge deck.  The sheet winches are therefore accessible.  I don't believe
there is enough room under the cockpit sole to accommodate the steering gear
if the wheel would by mounted aft.  Even if this could be accomplished it
would make access to the sheet winches difficult from the steering position.
If the wheel is no larger than about 22" diameter you can pass by it without
climbing over the cockpit seats unless you are extremely large.  I also have
a large wheel 32" which fits and is nice to steer with  buts blocks access
to the bridge deck and companionway without climbing over the seats.
Therefore I hardly ever use it.  In fact if anyone would like to buy it, it
is for sale.  The Alberg certainly does not need the purchase of a wheel any
larger than 22".  Room in the cockpit when not underway can be easily
maximized by simply undoing the wheel nut by hand and pulling off the wheel.
You should rig up some convenient way of stowing the unmounted wheel at the
rail.

Bill Newman