[alberg30] Re: DECK SPRING

Fri Oct 23 11:14:40 PDT 1998

> greg vandenberg said:
>
> From: greg vandenberg <fashionguy at ameritech.net>
>
> BATHTUB MARY HAS PEG BOARD ON HER DECK AREAS AND IN HER COCKPIT
> .... IT HAS BEEN THERE FROM THE GETGO AND THE CRACK
> (CRAZING)  IS IN THE SOLID GLASS NOT AT THE CORED AREA.

Ah, you've got an older boat.  Well, cracks indicate that there has
been some flexing.  I doubt that the masonite core is the problem.
Probably it's just accumulated flexing due to age.  I'd suggest
widening the cracks (with a sharpened beer can opener or "church key")
and filling with thickened epoxy.  Then you can just paint over it.
That's a simple fix that might well last a long time.

> PS:  SOOOOOO........ WITH THAT SAID ...... HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY
> KNOWLEDGE ABOUT A METHOD OF APPLYING A CEILING TO A 68/ A30 THAT HAS NO LINER

First of all, a "ceiling" is normally an lining of slats along the
hull.  The bottom of the deck is called the "overhead."  I'm not
trying to be pedantic, but I misunderstood you before.

If you want to stiffen the deck, you can add stringers to the bottom of
it.  Basically that involves having some form (like a long "v" of
cardboard) that you glass to the under surface.  I recommend that
you check the book "This Old Boat" which has a good description of
this.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/