[alberg30] INFO Needed Prior to Looking for a '30'

Mon Oct 19 14:06:29 PDT 1998

Jackie,

The older boats have a masonite core.  The newer ones have a balsa core.
I'm not exactly sure when the change was made.  I've not heard of
problems with the masonite core.  The balsa core, of course, must be
kept dry.  Problems generally come from boltholes being drilled through
the core and not properly sealed.  Water infiltration will cause
delamination.  You can detect this by tapping on the deck.  There is
an obvious difference in the sound.

While most A30's were delivered with gas engines, many have been
repowered.  It should be easy to find a boat with a diesel engine
if that is important to you.  I thought it was important to me
but I've found that I'm very happy with my Atomic 4.

I hope you find the boat of your dreams!

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/