[alberg30] Re: wheel steering for A-30

Gordon E. White gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Oct 14 06:40:47 PDT 1998

George,
    Thanks for the reply on the wheel. I'd really like to get a wheel
for various reasons and consolidate the controls,the depth sounder,
speed meter, radio, perhaps radar, on the pedestal. Unless there are
unsolvable problems with a wheel, and depending on the price involved
down here, I want to do it.
    Did you put the wheel on Inherit the Wind yourself ? Does it use the
Edson layout with idlers out at the sides (under) the cockpit? Did you
locate it fore-and-aft like the Edson drawing, i.e. about 2/3 back from
the compass? I assume you put a stuffing box on the rudder shaft. Any
problems of flex of the cockpit sole under load, or when the pedestal is
leaned on (a lot of leverage). What about access during installation? My
boat has an 18 x 18 Bomar hatch over the engine. I'm not sure that's
enough.
    Just what are the ears that flexed on yours and how did you cure
that?
    Anything I can learn will be a great help. Do you have any photos?
    Gordon White, Box 129, Deltaville, VA 23043 (804) 776-7947