[alberg30] Re: wheel steering for A-30

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Wed Oct 14 23:05:03 PDT 1998

From: RABBIT649 at aol.com

Dear Gordon,
	I can appreciate your determination. I, too, looked long and hard at
improving mine. In fact the job that was done was done poorly as to
craftsmanship, so I have the wheel off trying to figure out a way to correct
the work. And Dancing with Waves was sold last year. I don't know where she
went.
	My boat had been done according to the Edson reccomendations. Problem is they
cut a rough, gaping hole in the cockpit sole and slapped a thin piece of
aluminum over it, screwing it down with a raft of metal screws. I want to
recut the hole, since I'm stuck with it, and put in a proper sealing deck-
hatch but it's been hard to find one that is just slightly larger than the
hole they cut and still fits between the rudder post and the wheel. I do think
you should have an access hole for inspection and repair , although Dancing
with Waves was done without a hole in the cockpit sole, I believe thru the
sail lockers.
	If you're interested in implementing a variation of my design (or any other
that works) for a tilting pedestal, I will share the costs with you of making
two. That might make it cheaper to do, since the setup is the big expense in
labor, especially if your race car people are using the new small CNC machines
that are becoming increasingly popular for experimental work and short runs.
Let me know.
Regards,
Paul