[alberg30] Re: DECK SPRING

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Oct 23 12:18:40 PDT 1998

From: Dan Sternglass <dans at stmktg.com>

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> > PS:  SOOOOOO........ WITH THAT SAID ...... HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY
> > KNOWLEDGE ABOUT A METHOD OF APPLYING A CEILING TO A 68/ A30 THAT HAS NO LINER

In my 1966 (#201), the ceiling was painted with white enamel when I got
the boat 12 years ago. In that first year I glued headliner material
(available at an automotive or boat upholstry shop) to the ceiling with
Weldwood contact cement.

Its stayed attached pretty well, occasionally I have to tack a loose
spot back up. The boat is in fresh water, and in the water about
7-months/year (upstate NY). I don't know if a different environment
would adversely affect the performace of the headliner. It looks very
good, and gives the interior a much "warmer" feel.

It is time consuming to put it up, though, and I learned a bunch of
tricks by talking to the upholstry shop. Vent well and wear a repirator
with a VOC filter if you do this, quarts of weldwood give off a lot of
fumes.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Ithaca, NY (Cayuga lake)