[alberg30] Re: UPGRADING BEST AND WORST

Steve Weingart shw at gate.net
Fri Oct 23 14:22:49 PDT 1998

From: Steve Weingart <shw at gate.net>

>THIS HAS OFTEN CROSSED MY MIND AS I DROP THE MONEY DOWN THE HATCH.
>
>		WHAT ARE THE MOST BENEFICIAL UPGRADES THAT AN A30 OWNER CAN DO TO A BOAT
>WITH AN EYE TOWARDS A RECOGNIZABLE RETURN WHEN SELLING?

Make the boat turnkey:  Everything should be working and serviceable.
Interior finished and clean, rigging sails in good shape, engine running
well, at least basic gear (ground tackle, CG gear, interior cushions) on
board and in good shape.

The boat should be ready to sail home.

Make the boat pretty:  Clean, teak finished, hull and deck in the best
shape possible, and painted if needed/possible.

The boat should be pleasing to look at (even an A30 can look sad)

For the most part, these are the things that any boat owner/buyer wants: A
good, clean, ready to go boat.

Spongy decks, bad rigging, and unreliable rust lump of a motor and a
falling apart ugly interior ar big turn offs.

Ask your self the question:  Would I want to buy this boat?

Things like roller furling can be turn-ons, or turn-offs depending on the
buyer.  As can wheel steering.

Now given all of this, we have had Wyvern for sale for 4 months.  What
seems to be the problem is that lack of people looking for a classic boat
like an Alberg, and have the cash to buy it.  At least here in FL.

Either they think that they can talk me down to nothing because it's an
'Old Boat', they really want a Clorox bottle (Hunter, etc), and can't
afford it, or they like what they see, but they are broke, want to trade
for property in N.C, or a motor home etc.

Good Luck,

Any one out there want a great Alberg, check out:

http://www.gate.net/~shw/sell.html