[alberg30] Boat stuff

Mon Oct 26 13:12:21 PST 1998

> John Edwards said:
>
> My problem is with the waste holding tank. On my boat the holding tank
> is molded into the cabin floor with a metal top riveted on. Due I
> suspect to the prior owner taking the boat south this metal is leaking
> from the salt water. Has any one had this problem. I was thinking of
> replacing the molded tank with a plastic holding tank. Has anyone gone
> this route. I would like any ideas that worked for you.

First of all, I suggest that the only material suitable for a holding
tank is heavy guage high-density polyethylene.  Most plastics are
too permeable and will allow odor to escape.  From your description,
it sounds to me as if the water tank has been converted to a
holding tank.  The water tanks are notorious for corroding, even
when holding a relatively non-corrosive fluid as fresh water.  I
hate to think about them holding something as corrosive as urine.

Another bit of advice: provide good venting of your tank.  It's
been suggested to provide two vents, one on each side of the hull,
so that there will always be airflow.  You want aerobic bacteria,
not septic bacteria.  Think "compost pile" rather than "septic tank."

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                                  gdinwiddie at min.net
  sailing.          http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alberg30/