[alberg30] rudder:what is this?

alberg30 alberg30 at planet.net
Sun Sep 27 13:12:19 PDT 1998

From: "alberg30" <alberg30 at planet.net>

Question for the group:

#499 is out of the water and on the hard. I have noticed that where the
rudder is attached to the rest of the hull, there appears to be some kind
of caulking or rubber over the screws to the hardware that hold the rudder
to the rest of the hull. Seems like this rubber compound is faired smooth
quite a ways over the rudder and even at the hull. Covers just about all
the hardware, except of course for the "hinge." Its been painted over, and
has dried and cracked a little causing me to poke around and pull this
stuff off in small pieces. Definitely rubber or something.

What is this?

Is it a caulking compound to protect the hardware  from electrolysis? or
something else?

After I pull all this off, what do I put on it before I paint the
hull/rudder again? Should I even scrape it off?

All hardware seems to be in great shape, leading me to believe whatever was
on there before, did a good job of protection.

Joe "One Less Traveled"

email: alberg30 at planet.net