[alberg30] Re: Lots of questions

Robert Kirk kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 9 08:17:57 PDT 1998

From: Robert Kirk <kirk at neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov>

At 23:38 08-09-98 +0000, Bryan Marshall wrote:
>From: Bryan Marshall <bryan_marshall at bigfoot.com>
>
>I can answer question #3. Don't bother trying to get a new 6 " sheave...
>they are available, but are designed for big boats. The easier solution
>is to use 2 smaller sheaves sandwiched between 2 aluminum plates that
>have their width the same as the fore-aft cross section length. Set one
>at the rear and one at the front so the halyard comes in between the
>plates, over one sheave to the other sheave, and back out again. Use
>good ball bearing sheaves such as Harken. The point is to make a unit
>that replaces the old sheave with 2 new ones. It may be necessary to
>widen the slot where the old sheave was to accomodate the new unit.

If I remember right, Lee Trachtenberg found a source in the midwest
to make a new 6" sheave at a decent price; I forgot to save the
reference.  I'd try doing that rather than the dual sheave method because,
if I understand it right, that method requires two support cutouts in
rather thin aluminium as opposed to the seemingly stronger support
of the original bolt thru the mast.
Cheers,
Bob